Creating 28 Product Concepts in 28 Days
This is an old post original from my Medium account, I’ve since moved to my own blog, but I wanted to keep this post here for posterity.
Here is the full completed list
- Terra — Plant Care For Anyone
- Turn One — Your Race Weekend Companion
- Slumber — Optimize your sleep
- You Down? — Win Happy Hour
- Limelight — An app for a single subreddit.
- Book Blind Dates
- 3 Tips to Reduce Your Screen Time With iOS14
- Peloton Relays
- Thrifty Fits — Dress Like Bond on a Budget
- Hush — Focus on Work
- Access All of Your F1 News With MyF1
- Experience Your Community With City Wallet
- Discover the Best Podcast Episodes with Podic
- Gold Star — Employee Engagement Made Fun
- F1 Calendar — Keep Tabs on the Action
- Because We All Need More Stories — Slack Stories
- ReGrade — A Technology-First Approach to Card Grading
- Report Card — Helping Engineers Get Hired
- Your F1 Chatbot Monty
- All Your Streaming Services Into Channels with JustPlayIt
- Combo — Try New Foods
- Perfect Your Device Mockups with ModernMock
- Ocean for Notion — Create Waves with Notion
- Pump Up Your Meetings with MeetDJ
- 9:30 — A Collaborative Journal
- BottleShip — Buy Local Wines
- Perks for Patrons with Restaurant.Club
Product design has always been a hobby of mine, something that allows me to express myself creatively, I think the passion comes from being able to create something from nothing, and over the years I’ve pushed myself to learn the end to end process of building great products. Planning, designing, coding, marketing, etc…
It started with me as a kid learning Microsoft Frontpage and creating fan websites for my favorite game Habbo Hotel, and now building products has evolved into my career. I’ve won awards and helped build some great products, but I continue to grow my own list of ideas, and as I get older, it’s getting harder and harder to just sit down and build something for fun, it’s often a struggle to choose something, and I get stuck in analysis paralysis.
Here’s a rough template that will probably evolve over the next few weeks:
What’s the idea, who is it for, and what problem is it solving? For a few of these ideas, there are some clever and creative stories I can share.
This could be full high fidelity mockups or something I scratch down on a notepad, I just want to challenge myself to output some sort of design. The aim is by the end of the 28 days, I’ll have a library of assets I can pull from.
If I want to get this all done without burning out, I’ll have to manage my time well. I’m planning on dedicating ~2 hours per day to each idea. So I’ll be including any larger features I couldn't mockup in a description of features.
Often I find this to be lacking from a lot of pitches I see, most good ideas have some level of competitor, I think it’s important to find them out early and not let that discourage you.
This is going to be a challenge for me, it’s a lot of work with a limited amount of time. Join me for the ride, and throw any feedback my way.